Sustainability Assessments provide a snapshot of current energy and water use and the associated costs, and set out recommendations for saving energy and reducing waste; minimizing or repurposing agricultural and/or processing wastes; and conserving and reusing water.
Sustainability Assessments provide an opportunity to compare retrofit options by illustrating which upgrades will save the most energy, water, and/or waste; which have the quickest payback, and which may be eligible for financial incentives. This is helpful as producers prioritize projects and make decisions about equipment purchases.
Sustainability Assessments for Energy, Waste and Water can lead to increased farm efficiencies, higher gross revenues, adoption of environmental best practices, and improve the likelihood of the uptake or investment in innovative and more sustainable on-farm operating systems.
Energy Sustainability Assessments
Energy Sustainability Assessments provide a snapshot of current energy use and costs, and set out recommendations for saving energy. They give you an opportunity to compare retrofit options by illustrating which upgrades will save the most energy, which have the quickest payback, and which may be eligible for financial incentives. This is helpful as you prioritize projects and make decisions about equipment purchases.
Conducting Energy Sustainability Assessments consider the electricity or natural gas use, typically for lighting, refrigeration, heating systems, and other key operations and processing. The following are an example of what is included in an On-Farm Energy Sustainability Assessment:
- Energy Inventory of all processes related to key operations and processing
- The Project Team will complete a comprehensive energy audit via site visit.
- Inventory of all equipment, machinery, lighting, and heating appliances related to key operations and processing
- Electrical and heating loads will be characterized and energy consumption calculated based on operating times.
- Utility Review
- The Project Team will use the Energy Inventory to determine energy use, loads (where applicable), production costs of key operations and processing, and use this data to create a suite of recommendations
- The Project Team will use RETScreen Clean Energy Project Analysis Software to determine energy production savings, costs, emissions reductions, financial viability for various types of renewable energy and energy efficient technologies
- The Project Team may also use RETScreen to to determine opportunities to reduce GHG emissions through efficiency or recommended technology or integrated system
- Recommendations will include noted improvement options for inventoried equipment, options for efficiency upgrades, and note cost-benefit of integrated systems. For example: waste energy from one process could be an asset or a feedstock for a secondary process. Combined heat and power is one example of this kind of integrated efficiency.
- Energy Sustainability Report
- Inventory: A table listing the equipment (electricity and heating, which may be natural gas) inventory and sizing, equipment loads based on either data logging and/or appropriate run time estimates or combination
- Improvement Options: for inventoried equipment, listing possible efficiency upgrades where it exists or if existing equipment is already best practice
- Return on Investment: for each selection where there is an upgrade option, what the energy savings would be estimated to be, and what the payback would look like at a given/selected energy price (based on owner’s actual billing)
- Summary Ranking Table: as part of the assessment and probably highlighted in the Executive Summary would be a Ranking Table listing all possible energy projects (efficiency and renewable energy) by payback potential
- Utility Efficiencies: a section on explaining the portions of the energy bill and opportunities for savings (such as the avoided costs of avoiding energy import if becoming more efficient).
- Management Strategies: the “assessment” piece of the analysis includes comments/suggestions on management opportunities to be considered.
What do we measure?
Energy Sustainability Assessments are designed for optimizing operations, and are specifically detailed to inform investments, upgrades, and integrated solutions for systems that use pumps, fans, compressors, conveyers, material handling equipment, and other machinery. The following is a sample list of operations we can aagricultural businesses:
- Tankless gas, or electric water heaters
- Heat Recovery Systems
- Livestock watering
- Irrigation Systems
- Ventilation Systems
- Energy Curtains
- Heat Storage Systems
- Combined Heat and Power
- Remote Sensing
- Combustion Efficiency
- Building Insulation and Heating
Corporate Profile of Sustainability Resources – Project Lead
Sustainability Resources is non-profit consortium of sustainability professionals with a focus on Environmental Management Planning and Integrated Sustainability Systems for Water, Waste and Energy; and Strategic Development and Capacity Building for Rural Decision Makers and their Agriculture and Agri-processing Industries.
We are a recognized leader in showcasing solutions, and bridging the capacity gaps with education and professional resources to assist local governments, corporate, and industry leaders to achieve sustainability. Our Pathways 2 Sustainability Conferences have achieved national recognition and are attended by hundreds of local government leaders, corporate strategists, and academics.
We Source Sustainable Solutions for Complex Problems
We build a-la-carte professional teams and partner with affiliate companies that are solution driven to help municipalities and their technology partners navigate regulatory and financial processes for innovative green technologies.
Our programs have engaged local government, as well as their community and industry leaders from over 60 municipalities in Alberta with participation of over 2500 in restoration projects, sustainable community conferences, and rural innovation forums.
Our Project Team includes subcontracting from:
3-Point Environmental, an Affiliate of Sustainability Resources that specializes in design, construction of Sustainable and LEED Green Buildings, Compliance Reporting with ISO 14001, and Environmental Management Systems.
For more information please contact us!