Leadership and Investment Solutions for Rural Infrastructure
November 9th 9:40am - 10:20am Plenary Session Moderated by Kelly Lloyd, Coordinator of Strategic Affairs for the Town of Olds
This session showcased the pathway that some rural communities are taking to own essential infrastructure like power, fibre optics, and other economic development drivers that create and drive investment opportunities in rural economies.
- Mountain View Power, Olds Institute & Utility Net - Retaining Local Capital for Community with Stirling McLeod. View their presentation!
- Urban Systems - Role of Asset Management in Infrastructure Management with Golnaz Azimi. View their presentation!
Rural and Integrated Solutions for Water, Waste, and Energy
November 9th 11:10 - 12:10pm Plenary Session Moderated by Lisa M. Fox, Executive Director of Sustainability Resources ltd.
This session showcased innovation and leadership in supplying essential services to rural communities with a focus on integrated solutions unique to small rural communities.
- Southern Alberta Energy From Waste Association (SAEWA) with Paul Ryan. View their presentation!
- Advanced Water Technologies - Water and Wastewater Treatment Options for Rural Communities with Joshua Day Chief. View their presentation!
- Viresco Environmental Solutions - Opportunities for Sustainable Bio-energy Development in the Agri-food space with Karen Haugen Kozyra. View their presentation!
Rural Community Transportation and Technology Advancements
November 9th 1:40-3:00pm Concurrent Session Moderated by Mitch Thomson, Executive Director of the Olds Institute
This session showcased emerging leaders in tackling the transportation and technology challenges related to rural communities.
- ONET - Technology as Necessary Infrastructure for Accelerating the Local Economy with Joe Gustafson.
- Skyfire Energy - Solar, Rural Alberta's Next Energy Boom? with David Vonech. View their presentation!
- Airdrie Transportation - Partnering to Deliver Rural Mobility with Chris MacIssac. View their presentation!
Housing Solutions and Changing Demographics of Rural Communities
November 9th 1:40-3:00pm Concurrent Session moderated by Norm McInnes, CAO Town of Olds
This session showcased innovative solutions being generated for addressing the growing social sustainability challenges associated with changing demographics of rural communities.
- Town of Olds - Demographics Profile and Consideration for Social Development with Rita Thompson, Community Leader. View their presentation!
- Medicine Hat - Leading an End to Homelessness: The Medicine Hat Story with Jamie Rogers.
- Olds Age Friendly Initiative - Demographic Profile and Considerations for Social Development with Bernice Lynn and Erica Sweetman. View their presentation!
- Rural Physician Action Plan - Health Workforce for Alberta with Chris Carr. View their presentation!
The Role of Agriculture in Rural Resilience - Entrepreneurship and Agri-Business Innovation
November 10th 10:45 - 12:00pm Concurrent Session Moderated by Lori Jo Graham, Alberta Agriculture and Forestry
This session showcased blossoming entrepreneurship and innovation that is happening across the landscape of small town rural and agriculturally based communities.
- Fallen Timber Meadery - Mead-making, Adding Value to a Bee Farm with Nathan Ryan.
- Canadian Fair Trade Network - Ethics of Purchasing Power with Sean McHugh. View their presentation!
- Just BioFibre Structural Solutions -Sustainable Building using Rapidly Renewable Ag Fibre with Terry Radford. View their presentation!
Creating the Space to Empower Community Solutions
November 10th 10:45 - 12:00pm Concurrent Session Moderated by Kelly Lloyd, Coordinator of Strategic Affairs Town of Olds
This session showcased new ways to empower communities, and strengthen our leadership capacity as rural hubs of enterprise and innovation.
- Urban Matters - Social Return on Investment and Social Purpose Real Estate with Ken Guathier. View their presentation!
- Community Learning Campus - Collaboration for Community Education with Dot Negropontes. View their presentation!
- Central Alberta: Access Prosperity - Economic Development Enabling Solutions with Pam Steckler. View their presentation!
- CAEP - Leading Change and Dynamic Solutions: The Case of the Zoom Prospector with Kimberley Worthington. View their presentation!