Pathways 2 Sustainability - Alberta's Sustainable Communities Initiative
P2S is convened as a conference biennially in new communities across the province. These initiatives are supported by Round Table discussions and are organized, hosted, and funded by the community for the community creating ownership of both the process and the outcomes!
Since 2008 Pathways 2 Sustainability has directly inspired over 2000 participants; partnered with over 150 different industries, governments, and community service and innovation sectors to showcase solutions; engaged over 20,000 Albertans and 55,000 people across Canada in dialogue about urban design solutions, economic development, community supported agriculture, renewable energy, corporate sustainability, community investment models, climate change adaptation, resilience and sustainability.
In addition to regularly hosted Round Tables on Sustainability, we have also hosted the following conference events:
- P2S Cochrane 2009 "Alberta's Premier Municipal Sustainability Conference" was Hosted by the Cochrane Environmental Action Committee and the Town of Cochrane, with support by Alberta’s Urban Municipalities Association to further municipal sustainability planning.
- P2S Red Deer 2011 "Food, Fuel and Finance" was Hosted by the Re-Think Red Deer Society, the City of Red Deer and Red Deer College to accelerate food security, community finance options, and alternative energy solutions.
- P2S Calgary 2013 "Community Culture and Commerce" was Hosted by imagineCalgary, the City of Calgary Office of Sustainability, and Thrive to advance the social, economic, and cultural sustainability goals of Calgary’s sustainability plan.
- P2S Calgary 2015 "Future Cities Conference" was hosted by Brookfield, Enmax, the City of Calgary Office of Sustainability and imagineCalgary to showcase Calgary as a "Future City" with a focus on greening the built environment and creating complete, accessible and sustainable communities.
- P2S Olds 2015 "Flourishing Rural Economies Conference" was hosted by the Town of Olds, the Olds Institute, Olds College, and Mountain View County to advance rural prosperity, agri-innovation, and community investment and entrepreneurship.
- P2S Calgary 2017 "SHIFT or get off the pot" is a future-focussed challenge presented as a combined conference and exhibitor festival showcasing innovative, futuristic scenarios of a sustainable future for Calgary. This event is being hosted by Calgary Municipal Lands Corporation with support from the Canada Green Building Council, Alberta Chapter; 3-Point Environmental, Fair Trade Calgary, and the United Nations Association of Calgary.
Sustainability Resources ltd. is a non-profit organization dedicated to advancing capacity for sustainable communities and sustainable resource management.